$150mil SiriusXM/SoundExchange Settlement
Well, that was a mouthful. It’s also a pocketful of money that is about to be distributed by SoundExchange. It comes after a lengthy legal battle over miscalculated royalties from 2007–2017. SoundExchange will be distributing the funds across right holders and artists whose sound recordings were used during that period. So, even if you had your biggest hit ten years ago, you could be up for a little windfall. If you’re a performer and you are not a member of SoundExchange, I’d suggest you look into it. SoundExchange will not pay the artist share to the label like they do in Australia so it’s yours for the taking. Feel free to get in touch with us for information regarding registration or details around SoundExchange and SiriusXM in general.
In the news:
As always, don’t hesitate to touch base for any royalty related questions. We’re always happy to chat!
- APRA Live Performance Report deadline — 31st of July: for any gigs you played since the 1st of July 2017. Login and get entering here
- PPCA registration deadline — 31st of August: Make sure all new recordings ae registered with PPCA to be involved in this years distribution. Get them in here. If you’re not yet a member of PPCA you can register here
WSRA Service Spotlight
Royalty Health Check: A complete overview of your current royalty income setup and “well-being”. A super simple report that includes.
- An easy to follow Royalty Flow Diagram, showing how your income should be flowing to you.
- Key contract points and advice on potential pitfalls.
- Key royalty statement and income receipt dates relevant to you.
- Assessment of your current royalty income set-up and potential issues.
- Health improvement recommendations.
Find out more about our Royalty Health Check service, right here.