December is here and 2018 is going out with a bang! Lookout for event announcements & reminders in this issue. If you’re in Amsterdam, I hope to see you!
is another person who also has a cool weekly newsletter
. Recently, he wrote about often when someone is trying to to explain something, he or she usually makes at least two cognitive errors that are detrimental to their communication:
- They don’t understand what the listener knows
- They try to persuade instead of explain
Persuasion is manipulation. Explanation is empathy. It’s the latter that pays fatter (I’d wager more sustainable, as well) dividends. And Bryant’s simple heuristic helps guide his work:
- What does the audience know?
- How do they feel?
- How do they want to feel?
- How will the product help them feel that?
- How does the product work?
How do you think you can empathise & explain rather than inadvertently trying to persuade & manipulate?
As always, thank you for reading!
Didn’t get me a birthday gift & can’t make it to the Twotone party next week? Make it up to me & share this issue. 🙏