“If there’s one rule that applies everywhere, it’s that Irony Doesn’t Scale.” -
Paul Ford of Postlight
, a digital product studio in NYC.
His ideas on sick
vs. well systems for running a business are great.
Paul’s Characteristics of a Well System:
- Hire people who like to work hard and who have something to prove.
- Encourage people to own and manage large blocks of their own time, and give people time to think and make thinking part of the job—not extra.
- Let people rest. Encourage them to go home at sensible times. If they work late give them time off to make up for it.
- Aim for consistency. Set emotional boundaries and expectations, be clear about rewards, and protect people where possible from crises so they can plan their time.
- Make their success their own and credit them for it.
- Don’t promise happiness. Promise fair pay and good work.
No surprises here, I suppose.
These are lofty and very worthwhile goals.
Avoiding a sick system & not leaning on irony will be a focus of mine this year.
As always thank you for reading,