Hey, it’s been a while, sorry about that.
Here’s a quick run through of the past 2 years. They were definitely rollercoaster years and I’ve learned a lot about what I love and what I don’t.
🤦♂️ April 2018 - March 2019 (WTF was I thinking?)
- Kept working in the crypto world with Justin Wu and Tom Osman (I don’t love crypto and probably should’ve left sooner).
🤷♂️ March 2019 - January 2020 (I do love working with startups!)
- After flailing in crypto and feeling unfulfilled, I let the startup tech community know that I wanted back in.
- Luckily, I received a lot of great opportunities and after weighing them, I joined test.ai.
- That company is building some software test automation AI that will change how all technology is built in the future.
- 10 months into that job, we mutually realized it wasn’t the right fit, so I was let go.
2020, so far
- That hurt at first because I didn’t know what I was going to do next. It was a similar feeling I had after moving to Los Angeles when Mattermark was sold to FullContact and let everyone go.
- With no work obligations and some severance to lean on, February became the month I’d focus on some personal issues.
- We’ll table that bit, for now.
Even before leaving test.ai, I’d been talking with Evan Walden of Monday.vc about a marketing project he had in mind. That conversation stayed alive for 4 months. In March, as the COVID-19 crisis began to economically impact startups and people with tech jobs, Evan told me about a community project he had in mind that could help.
Simply put, it feels like COVID-19 has split our world into two: those needing help and those wanting to help.
As of mid-April, I, along with an incredible team and Monday.vc, have been focusing our time building Getro.org.
is a community-driven, pro bono initiative to connect recently laid-off talent with companies that are actively hiring within the tech community. Getro.org takes the idea of layoff lists a few steps further by using a volunteer network of expert recruiters to source our platform and introduce talent directly to companies with open roles.
🙌 In addition to partnerships with VCs and hiring companies, we’re building an Advocate Network of volunteers and recruiters who are willing to contribute a few hours/week of their time to help.
💥 Do you know of companies hiring or talent looking for new roles? Sign up on our platform to receive talent or get introduced to companies at Getro.org
💥 Want to use your recruiting skillset or network to help people find jobs? Sign up as a Getro Advocate
We’re all in this together! Please share Getro.org with your team, investors, communities, and people you know that have been affected by COVID-19 related layoffs.
Thank you for reading and I hope you and your loved ones are safe.