Last week I wrote briefly about Lou Otten’s passing. He was the engineer at Phillips responsible for inventing cassettes. That flawed but wonderful vehicle for mixtapes. The medium that inspired the Walkman and made our music truly portable.
Well, I realized I’m not quite
done waxing nostalgic about the cassette. And I discovered that just like vinyl, tapes are making their own mini-comeback as well! Did you know Lady Gaga had the best-selling cassette release
of 2020, and that tape sales DOUBLED in 2020 compared to 2019? Wild!
OK. Let’s have some fun! Below I’ve written ten article headlines ranging from straightforward to pure cringe to unabashedly pun-tastic. But only one of them is real. The other nine are complete fabrications (even though I’d love to see what kind of bombastic or humorous essays people could craft with some of these).
Can you spot the real, published title? Hint: I published it a few years ago.
1) More Hipster Than You: A Love Letter To Tapes
2) Forget Vinyl, Let’s Talk About The Cassette Comeback
3) High-Speed Dub My Heart
4) Capstan Holes & Pressure Pads: Tapes Can Be Sexy, Too
5) Analog Audio And Double Deck Dreams
6) Drawn Towards Tapes? Must Be Your Magnetic Personality
7) No Pencil: A Harrowing Journey of Music and Madness
8) Now I’m Cassette For Life: How A Walkman Made Me Rich
9) You Auto-Reversed Your Love And Ejected My Heart
10) Adhesive Love: The Beginner’s Guide To Splicing