View profile

How ageism issues affect the finance industry

Revue
 
Bags are packed, phones charge, and presentations loaded for Tearsheet's event this Monday, Hot Topic
 
September 24 · Issue #101 · View online
Tearsheet Weekly Newsletter
Bags are packed, phones charge, and presentations loaded for Tearsheet’s event this Monday, Hot Topic: Bitcoin and Blockchain. We’ve got an A team of presenters and a full house of attendees from the most influential financial firms to talk about how finance is changing before our eyes. To grab a last-minute ticket or live forever with FOMO, check out our agenda and registration.

Why mobile wallet companies are pushing plastic cards
Today 10 percent of total retail sales reside in e-commerce, the other 90 percent are still made at physical stores. That’s got firms like Square, Apple, and Venmo/PayPal introducing prepaid cards this year to bridge the adoption gap between physical and mobile payments.
In my world it's called theft: How Ajay Banga wants to change inclusion
Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga wants business leaders to rethink how they see capital and open up more to the “enormous” money-making opportunity of financial inclusion. Banga wants to change that.
Investopedia launches online finance and investing school
To Investopedia, the educational space is a good fit because competitors don’t focus on finance, and courses are a natural extension of the free content it offers. Investopedia launched an online training academy focused on finance and investing.
Survival of the fittest: How ageism issues affect the finance industry
Are young financial professionals just smarter?
Banks and financial services companies could be guilty of ageism and giving priority to young tech-savvy employees over experienced workers. In an increasingly competitive work environment, hard-working older employees can get overlooked.
‘A story the world needs to invest in’: Inside SBI’s inclusion efforts
Investors have a civic duty to advance financial inclusion efforts, according to the chairwoman of the State Bank of India. Of course financial inclusion initiatives aren’t very lucrative, that’s why it’s up to investors to rethink premiums versus discounts.
Ellevest is using its new funding round to add human advisors
Sallie Krawcheck’s Ellevest isn’t the first “robo-advisor” to introduce human advice, but the decision to do so came, not as a need to differentiate, but as a response to client requests.
Why Charles Schwab is putting on a TV show
For the past four years, Charles Schwab has put on a web-streamed live show to engage its customers. The content of “Schwab Live” doesn’t just include finance; fireside chats with influencers add a degree of authenticity for the brand.
Dr Sean Wise: 'Customers are the real people validating fintech ideas'
Dr Sean Wise’s new book, co-written with famed venture investor Brad Feld, provides a guide to starting, investing, and partnering with startups. Sean joins us this week on the podcast to talk about how innovation will power the future of finance.
What we're reading
JPMorgan chief Jamie Dimon calls Bitcoin ’a fraud’.  But then, JPM enters market as a big buyer of the cryptocurrency. Sweden thinks Jamie Dimon manipulated BTC pricing. Maybe, but it looks like the firm was just buying a Bitcoin product for clients.
One in five central banks will deploy blockchain within two years
Bitcoin in the Browser: Google, Apple and more tech firms adopting crypto-ready API
Goldman Sachs thinks its fintech lending arm Marcus can make as much extra revenue as trading
JPMorgan hires Amazon exec for retail customer experience
The next financial crisis will start in Silicon Valley
Stay connected to Tearsheet
  • For more coverage, join our growing Facebook community. Follow us on Twitter at @tearsheetco. And subscribe to our daily newsletter.
  • Are you getting value out of our newsletter? Share it with a friend by forwarding this email or use the share buttons below.
Did you enjoy this issue?
If you don't want these updates anymore, please unsubscribe here
If you were forwarded this newsletter and you like it, you can subscribe here
Powered by Revue