While carrying out my most desirable activity like ‘scrolling through my Instagram’. I would first complete my least desirable activity - ‘doing 10 reps of push-ups’. This added friction in pursuing non-essential activity. However, I stopped practising this principle whilst at work because I wasn’t keen on the idea of doing push-ups at work.
To make a conscious effort of pursuing my default activities depending on what I felt like doing during that day. I would do the following:
- Either, write 500 words during my lunchtime and coffee breaks.
- Or listen to podcasts at 1.7x speed whilst cleaning or cooking
- Something new that I recently got into - listening to Audiobooks at 2.0x speed.
The practice of a ‘default activity’ is considered as a habit for the following reasons:
- Easy - there isn’t any complexity in writing or listening.
- Obvious - my system includes tools that I am familiar with like Drafts, Notion, Castro and Audiobook.
- Attractive - I can practice this habit during my own time and not feel guilty of doing something else during work.
- Satisfying - I’m making that 1% improvement each day on my projects and for me, that’s a win.
I love to hear from you guys as to what you considered as your default activity. And, if there’s a system you have experimented with hit reply to this email and we can share our struggles.
I hope you guys have an amazing week ahead.