Welcome back, folks.
This week’s news cycle has been a fun one if brand Twitter is your thang.
Boris Johnson’s resignation, the Gentleminions TikTok trend, Usher’s ‘Watch This’ viral meme, and more, have given social media managers lots of material to play with…We will dig into ALL of these in a bit.
And… A quick pro-tip for you
I subscribe to a LOT of newsletters. But this is one of the best.
Marketing Brew drops a quick-to-read newsletter in your inbox every weekday with the latest on influencers and advertising to social media & more.
Marketing Brew never misses a beat. I highly recommend it. Check it out.
Okay… Let’s take a look at hottest stories in social media land this week:
🔥 GEEKOUT HOT 5
- TikTok’s social shopping plans fail to takeoff in Europe + U.S [FULL STORY]
- Meta is killing Facebook logins in the metaverse [MORE INFO]
- #GentleMinions TikTok viral trend is driving cinemagoers nuts [EXPLAINER]
- Twitter’s started testing a new ‘CoTweet’ feature [NEW FEATURE]
- Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover deal is reportedly ‘in peril’ [FFS ELON]
What else happened that is new and noteworthy this week? I got you… (*cracks knuckles… stretches*):
✨ WATCH | META’S ‘ROAD TO THE METAVERSE’ EVENT ✨
Meta invited me to speak at its ‘Road to the Metaverse’ event in Berlin this week.
Hot topics we discussed included:
- Why I’m excited about the metaverse
- The future of social media in the metaverse
- The risks of increasingly living in a virtual world
WORTH A LOOK 👀
The Best Boris Johnson Resignation Memes on Twitter [SHOW ME]
TikTok Shadowbans Explained + 5 Tips to Get Unbanned [TELL ME]
✨ FREE STUFF:
Twitter’s New Brands Playbook Full of Top Tips for Marketers [CHECK IT OUT]
Alrighty then… Let’s take a look at the week’s biggest developments. Analysis of the stories everyone’s talking about is coming up next 👇
Geekout is BACK on Twitter Spaces at 4pm UK / 11am ET / 8am PT today. We’ll be talking about all the big topics from today’s newsletter. GET A REMINDER / LISTEN BACK