Or “The 7 commandments of smart travel”
1. No neck pillows (unless you’re sick or you have an inflatable one).
2. Don’t check luggage - there are washing machines outside of your house, too. Plus, you’re decreasing the risk of delays and hassles.
3. Sign up for an airline (+credit card) loyalty programme and take advantage of it. Hello, free tickets!
4. Only carry what you can lift! When you’re carrying your stuff on your back you’ll think twice before taking 20kg of clothes for a week of holiday. Use a backpack or duffel bag instead of a trolley - it’ll be easier to walk around cities, too.
5. Travel with an empty plastic bottle/teamug. Refill after security checks.
6. If you’re flying, research your destination and transit airports
on Sleeping In Airports
- so you know where you can sleep, eat, charge your phone before you get there.
7. No matter how high your passport ranks, keep in mind that other countries are not designed for your own comfort. Learn how to say thank you in the local language and treat everyone with respect.
Bonus: bring candies to flight attendants and you’ll be their favourite passenger. Also, most likely person to get an extra serving of ice-cream.