Busy week and I’m wishing I were back here, at Fort De Soto, flopped out in this hammock. (Maybe reading a Travis McGee novel by Macdonald - my new addiction - I know I’m late to the game.) But you have to pay to play. I’m not complaining - I’m learning a ton of new stuff and that’s a good rule of thumb as far as jobs go I think. If you aren’t learning you should be worried. I’m lucky to have some serious subject matter experts to teach me what I’ll need to know to be successful. I did manage to stumble upon a few interesting non-work related things this week so let’s do this.
In Praise of Missing Out
- Nobody is doing more intelligent writing on the web than Maria Popova over at Brain Pickings and this piece is exquisite. This was my favorite read of the week and there are so many side roads you can explore with her links. Brain Picking is what the High Five would be if my brain hadn’t been picked clean years ago.
Nine Ways to Stop Being Negative
- Take a quick look at this list and you’ll find some quick prompts you can use to wring a a little negativity out of your head. A gratitude practice is key for me. Every day I write down three things I’m thankful for in the morning and then I do it again in the evening. It just helps set the tone for a good day and a deep sleep. Don’t go big, it’s too intimidating. I’m thankful today I had some leftover French Silk pie MK made for a going away party at my office. Delicious!
Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- whoa - I’m going to try to make these this weekend and I’ll report back! Thankful for this recipe. Boom, it’s going in the gratitude journal. See, it’s easy.
Alan Watts, Animated
- Dr. Boulais hipped me to this last week but I didn’t get it in time to drop it into the High Five. But you have it now. Alan Watts’ words plus animation from the creators of South Park. Chock full of win.
- loving Google’s new keyboard on my iPhone. I guess there are similar keyboards available but the swiping feature is new to me and I love it. Plus you can do a Google search while texting without skipping a beat.
That’s it this week, friends. I hope you had a great week and that you learned something fun. I ask the girls what they learned every night and I don’t always get very inspiring answers but I’m pretty sure they are holding out on me. I WANT TO KNOW ALL THE THINGS.
Have a great weekend,