Jack Kerouac Talks About How He Meditates
- You can’t always hop in your car and hit the road to find yourself - you’ve got work to do, and a family, and your Tesla only goes 300 miles on a charge. Here, you’ll learn a little about Jack’s meditation practice in what Maria Popova calls “an intoxicating homage to the ancient practice that milks the brain’s ‘good glad fluid’”.
The Wood Wide Web
- This is a pretty neat piece by Ed Yong in The Atlantic
about the inter-connectedness of trees. My buddy Michael will dig this. It seems the root structures of trees transmit carbon to each other in interesting, helpful ways. The Wood Wide Web seems more benevolent than the one we play on. By the way, Ed Yong writes a great, science-based newsletter called the “Ed’s Up
” you may want to check out.
Peter Sellers Does Hard Day’s Night
- I’ve been writing the High Five for a few months and somehow I’ve not dropped any Peter Sellers on you! That ends here. Mr. Sellers covers Hard Day’s Night
like only he can. It’s weird and delightful.
I Am Not A Brand
- I check in with what Seth Godin is writing every few weeks because this guy seems tapped in to the capital T Truth. The landscape of work is changing in case you haven’t noticed. Working life will be unrecognizable to dinosaurs like me in 10 years. It’s tempting to start thinking of oneself as a “brand” in this kind of economy. And then once you are a brand, you start managing yourself like a brand, and that usually means putting yourself in a box. We’re not brands, though, we’re people, and we contain multitudes, just like Uncle Walt said
. Don’t sell yourself short and don’t forget you can pivot at any time.
- by the time you read this, I may have these bad boys set up in the new house. (The video is worth watching - how many of us can relate?) Our WiFi signal gets pretty weak once you travel outside of the modest range of our Cox Cable modem. This means everyone ends up fighting for the few, obscure WiFi pockets upstairs. This is ridiculous and so I’ll be trying these devices out because I’ve heard good things. If I’m paying for WiFi, I feel like it should be blasting like a fire hose no matter where I am in the house. I’ll post an update. Maybe from the backyard because my WiFi will be ridiculous.
Have a great weekend, friends. We’re camping at Fort De Soto with some friends and also Dave Menet will be there. It’s a pretty great spot on the Gulf of Mexico near the Shell Key Preserve. I’ll take a few pictures.