This week I ran into an interesting class of problem that—in hindsight—could use a much better workflow. Does it exist? It has to do with the hero image on the right side of the home page on jamstackconf.com. We work using Figma on the marketing team at Netlify and my first attempt at exporting this image was fraught with peril.
After the fragmentation effect, I am going to tackle another interesting animation: the blob! We all agree that such effect is hard to achieve with CSS, so we generally reach for SVG to make those gooey shapes. But now that the powerful Paint API is available, using CSS is not only possible, but maybe even a preferable approach once browser support comes around.
That’s the idea behind my new shiny domain: canistilluse.com. I made the site as satire after reading Jeremy Keith’s insightful piece where he notes, “the onus is not on web developers to keep track of older features in danger of being deprecated. That’s on the browser makers. I sincerely hope we’re not expected to consult a site called canistilluse.com.”
Refactored codebase should result in similar or improved performance and improved codebase health. After all, if deploying the refactored codebase causes loading or performance issues, it will result in less traffic and revenue. Luckily, there are many optimization techniques we can apply to tackle potential file size and performance issues.
Forget inverting binary trees, translating or localizing a digital experience is one of the most difficult things you can do with software. I recently had the privilege of helping a client with localization efforts for their website. There are some things I did not run into in my web research that I learned in actually doing the work, things that I feel are worth capturing and sharing.