Hedera Hasgraph features:
- 10k tx/sec (token transactions, not smart contract ones)
- Transaction finality in <5 secs
- Fixed micro fees (not auctioned)
- Smart contract capable, written in Solidity (Ethereum language)
- Token issuance on the network
- AML/KYC compliance tools
Hedera Hashgraph is closed-source software and is patented, but the application layer is open, and anyone can develop without paying a license.
The stated reason for not being open-source is to avoid the loss of network effects that forks would cause.
The protocol is steered by a Governing Council of 39 big corporations from diverse industries like Google, LG, Deutsche Telekom, Tata, Nomura, EDF, or Boeing.
Hedera will have permissionless nodes in the future, but right now, only members of the Governing Council can run them.
HBAR is the cryptocurrency used on the Hedera Hashgraph mainnet. It has a fixed supply. Most of it will come into circulation via staking rewards for the nodes.
There were several funding rounds in 2018 for a total of $120 mn.