Sawubona! The sprint and marathon continue. Today is #14 in the 💯 Stories in 💯 Days Series. In case you missed it, yesterday’s was- The Importance Of A North Star ⭐️
Today, we are diving into…
Everyone Is Our Mirror
Housekeeping Note- finally, the list is changing! For you, this means a few things.
- Please make sure to add email@example.com to your address book.
- Check your spam folder in a few days if you think I ghosted you. I promise I won’t.
- If you’re using Gmail, they notoriously trash emails I get from my personal friends. Make sure that doesn’t happen to you!
- If something is whacky, please give me a holler. I fear tomfoolery amongst the internet overlords. I don’t want to lose contact with you.
- You can stay subscribed to the whole menu and get both 100 Stories and the weekly letter, or have them a la carte now. It’s no longer an all or nothing deal.
- The first one will be sent tomorrow. I wanted to give you a heads up and have spent many hours talking to the people at ConvertKit. Thank you for bearing with me :)
On to the house of mirrors…🏠
I like other people when I see myself in them.
I dislike other people when I see myself in them.
I admire other people when I see myself in them. Tony Robbins says we admire others when we see in them attributes we haven’t owned in ourselves.
This pill is hard to swallow for both reasons.
I can’t be those people I hate!
I can’t be those people I put on pedestals!
Well, I’m not. These people are merely reminders.
Our enemies are our greatest teachers.
So are our heroes.
- What is the lesson here?- anytime I’m upset or excited, ask myself this question.
- Own my gold! 🏆 Often, I realize that others are my mirror when I’m pissed off. But, I rarely admit that others are my mirror when I admire them. I can take ownership of the positive things about me (the gold).
- How can I help others own their gold? I can say, “everyone is our mirror” when complemented by someone.
As always, thank you for reading. Tomorrow we are diving into Using Small Words To Convey Big Ideas. 💡
PS- Admit is Latin for “to send,” and admire is “to wonder” so, I think “to admit I admire” is “to send wonder”. How beautiful 😍
PPS- I came across this mental model, principle, or whatever you want to call it, thanks to The Mankind Project. They are a group that teaches emotional literacy to men. Trust me, as a man, men need it. If you are a man or know a man who is curious, drop me a line. I’d be thrilled to chat.