That’s right. The City of Troy is voting this Thursday to hire six new police officers.
Where is this money coming from? How is it that the City can find dollars to add six new police officers but not for a community center in North Central? Why is the City investing in more policing, instead of investing those funds in measures to reduce inequity, from youth activities to safe and affordable housing to mental health services? We know that’s what works!
And why wasn’t this discussed during these last months’ Police Reform & Reinvention Collaborative meetings?
They don’t want to hear from us, but they will.
Take a moment ASAP to call your City Councilperson (plus Carmella who represents everyone) and let them know how you feel. You can see who your rep is on this map
And here are their phone numbers:
- Carmella Mantello, President (518) 281-6582
- District 1: Jim Gulli (518) 857-9546
- District 2: Kim Ashe McPherson (518) 279-7134
- District 3: Sue Steele (518) 279-6122
- District 4: Anasha Cummings (518) 406-8636
- District 5: Ken Zalewski (518) 272-4553
- District 6: Eileen McDermott (518) 331-3916
You can also email the whole group:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Anasha.Cummings@troyny.gov
And feel free to add in Mayor Madden and the Police Chief!
In shared anger and dismay.