View profile

The last straw✂️

Revue
 
 

Zero Waste London Mail

October 12 · Issue #14 · View online

Join the zero waste revolution.


Hello friends!
Bye-bye single-use plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds ! All those single use plastic (SUP) items are now banned❌in England.
This piece of news may well have escaped your attention but it’s worth celebrating the fact that people in England won’t consume 4.7 billion plastic straws, 316 million plastic stirrers and 1.8 billion plastic-stemmed cotton buds each year anymore.
Obviously, the authorities in the UK and across the world have to go much further much faster. Plastic waste remains a huge problem and we need all hands on deck to lobby politicians and businesses.
For now, let’s celebrate this win. 🙌
Another milestone worth celebrating is the organisation of the first London Repair Week! It has just started today and it’s full of promises for the future.
Keep fighting,
Amandine

The News 🔔
London FIRST repair week is there!
Before it had even started the event already highlighted the phenomenal interest young Londoners have for anything that will enable them to grow their repair skills, according to some research commissioned by London Recycles. Not exactly breaking news for you and me but it’s good that the people in charge are becoming aware of this, isn’t it?
The programme of events of London Repair Week is very varied and very hands on, as you can imagine. Some of the workshops are happening in person - like Doctor Bike free repair sessions. Other, such as clothes repair workshops & socks darning, are on line.
Go and have a look to the programme here. It promises to be a real feast for repair geeks or aspiring repairers such as myself. (There’s a workshop tomorrow, i.e. Tuesday, about to repair your fitness wear given by RubyMoon! Isn’t it awesome? )
In other news, a refill shop is coming to West Hampstead in the borough of Camden!
Melanie, West Hampstead resident and founder of Park The Plastic, shared the good news on Twitter last week. The shop will be located on West End Lane, she informed me.
I think it’s a great location for a zero waste shop. It will provide shoppers like myself an additional reason to visit West Hampstead where there is already a very nice greengrocer, a couple of organic shops and a farmers’ market every Saturday between 10am and 2pm.
The Campaign 🙅
Plastic campaigner Ella Daish is such an inspiration!
To further highlight the extent of the problem created by plastic tampon applicators, she created a giant plastic tampon applicator! 
A few months ago she asked people to send her any plastic tampon applicators they find polluting their local environment, beach, or waterway. Ella was able to identify which manufacturers the plastic tampon applicators came from by looking at their different colours, shapes, and patterns. 
It turns out that 87.5% of those collected were Tampax (a brand owned by giant manufacturer Procter&Gamble) and the remaining 12.5% were a mixture of other brands and ones which could not be identified.
💪If you want to show support for Ella Daish’s campaign have a look to this page. You will find some resources about how you can recreate a buzz online,
The Zero Waste Take-Away
Climate guilt free take-away, anyone?
Launched in East London in 2018, DabbaDrop has just expanded to South London. This take-away company delivers plant-based Indian food in reusable containers on Thursdays and Fridays - on bikes! Yes, it’s a zero waste take away.
If they don’t deliver to your area and you would like them to you can register your interest on their website here. I’ve already asked them to deliver to NW10 and I am spreading the word about it in my neighbourhood.
If you know other zero waste take-away restaurants in London please let me know!
In the press and elsewhere
“We have had so many wins” : the Guardian looks back at all the achievements of the green movement over the last 50 years
“Where do all the wellies go?” : a reflection of mine sparked by a hunt for rain wear for my 3 year old son
Did you enjoy this issue?
In order to unsubscribe, click here.
If you were forwarded this newsletter and you like it, you can subscribe here.
Powered by Revue
London, United Kingdom