If you’re a regular reader of this fortnightly-ish newsletter, you may recall that I’ve previous advocated that unions look to non-profit fundraising programs for lessons and tactics on recruitment.
That’s why I’m sending you this short prompt: this Thursday, the Australian Council of Trade Unions has its latest Innovation Series on exactly this topic. More here
Of course, unions shouldn’t aim to be charities, and deriving a significant proportion of your revenue from donations (as opposed to membership dues) is problematic.
However, there are definitely lessons to be learned from the non-profit sector in this space.
This is especially the case when it comes to
- understanding the motivations of why people donate (join)
- nurturing potential donors (potential members)
- welcoming new donors (members)
- nurturing donors (members) in the short/medium and long term
- linking campaigns with fundraising (organising/recruitment)
- new tactics for digital fundraising (member recruitment)