Often in our daily office world, we need to communicate about an important issue to higher management.
Most often or not, the higher management what to know the high level of the issue, and more importantly, they will review if it needs their intervention/support of any kind.
How do you communicate such items in writing?
Here is a simple framework inspired by Amazon.👇
Mail / Document Subject
[Type of communication] Summary of the issue with <action word> to market impact
- One-liner on what is the issue,
- critical market impact, and
- the act/support need from the recipient
What is the issue
- 2/3 lines on the issue
- key time, place, situation
What is customer impact or our opportunity
- The actual problem you’re trying to solve
- Size of the problem
What’s the progress/current situation and next action?
- What progress has been made so far?
- What’s the next action plan, Key dates/weeks to know the result of the action
- When the next progress update to come
- When can I find the result?
- How will I know?
- How will I ignore/cancel?
- What is the technology used?
- Why is it selected?
- How does it align with your goals?
- Why can’t we ship it quickly?
- Visuals + flowcharts
- Some handwritten visuals, not a highly modified PowerPoint slide
❓What do you think of this framework? Will you use it or edit it?
Reply and let me know in the comment section.
Live your Ikigai
. Have a great week ahead.