In 1873, Patterson became business partners with J.P. Lowe, a white local carriage maker, and together they established J.P. Lowe & Company. In 1893, Patterson bought out Lowe’s shares of the company and renamed the company, C.R. Patterson and Sons. By the turn of the 20th century, Patterson had an integrated workforce that consisted of 35-50 individuals. C.R. Patterson and Sons had a catalog of 28 or so models. The models ranged from open buggies to closed carriages.