Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
💡 Interesting Articles & News:
- A bill that would end U.S. support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen has been vetoed. Trump called that bill a “dangerous” attempt to weaken his constitutional powers.
Support for marijuana legalization hits new high, CBS News poll finds.
- World Bank President David Malpass says there is too much debt in the world. (We concur)
Netflix added 9.6 million subscribers in Q1 2019 - the biggest quarterly gain in its history - but is expecting the pace will slow to half that in the next quarter. However, Netflix faces increasing competition as Disney and Apple prep their own streaming platforms.
- The 100 people transforming the world of business. Who are they?
Africa’s startup ecosystems are at a major turning point. Read why.
Selfie deaths are an epidemic. See why. 🤳
World’s largest airplane completes first flight. Check it out. ✈
- The man behind Huawei. Who is he? 📱 (Great read)
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
Ketamine may relieve depression by repairing damaged brain circuits.🧠
- The return of the “stoned ape” theory. Fascinating read. 🦍
- The controversial gene-editing technique known as CRISPR is now being used to modify human DNA in the U.S. for the first time. Scientists believe CRISPR holds enormous promise for treating disease but also comes with ethical questions (“designer babies”). 👶
- Billionaires raced to pledge money to rebuild Notre Dame. Then came the backlash.
- Another round of severe weather is expected in the central and southern U.S., potentially impacting 118 million people. 🌡
- A new study claims what you believe about sleep may be nothing but a pipe dream. For instance: drinking alcohol before bedtime doesn’t help you fall asleep; your brain doesn’t adapt to getting less sleep; and sleeping five hours or fewer a night can greatly increase the risk of heart disease. 💤
- Curious about the origin of the 420 code or Weed Day? Here are some theories. 💡
- Bill would let California veterinarians recommend cannabis. Read about it here. 🐶
- Cannabis firms head to London for £100bn POT of gold. 🌱
- Canadian marijuana grower Canopy Growth agrees to buy Acreage Holdings in a $3.4 billion deal.🌿💲 Read more here. (paid far too much, ego driven acquisition)
📈 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
📈 Stocks on our / the IBR radar:
💬 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” — Confucius
“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” — George Addair
🔠 Word Of The Week:
Disingenuous - adj.Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating.
Eg. “It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the company.”
❔ Did You Know:
- If your dog’s feet smell like corn chips, you’re not alone. The term “frito feet” was coined to describe the scent. 🐾
On this day in history: April 21, 763 BC - Traditional date indicating when Romulus and Remus found Rome.
👓 A Must Watch & Listen:
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss interview - Very good.
📚 Books We Are Reading:
Economics is the mother tongue of public policy. It dominates our decision-making for the future, guides multi-billion-dollar investments, and shapes our responses to climate change, inequality, and other environmental and social challenges that define our times.
Revolutionary ideas on how to use markets to bring about fairness and prosperity.
👌 Feel Good Sunday:
🐦 One Liners:
- The best way to spot typos is to press “send” on your newsletter issue and then read it again. 😂
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 🤗📈
The IBR Team