“If you don’t know what TikTok is… shame on you” said a 55 years old digital native.
So now that you are TikTok-proficient, let’s talk about the app, that you hopefully would have installed by now.
- 500 MAU worldwide, 800M installs but it’s an old stats.
- 75% under 30, 55% under 24, 65% women.
- This is trash. Totally trash. Or isn’t.
- This is for kids only. Or, isn’t. So what?
- It’s addictive for a mix of reasons.
What about sports?
Is TikTok an opportunity for Sports properties, Federations, Leagues, Clubs/Teams, Players/Athletes, Media etc…?
They are hiring in sports (and eSports) partnership so they know it is.
What is the status in sports? What are we currently doing?
Hmm, not great! Even if I am sure we will keep up soon.
Let’s see (dated Late January 2019):
Have a TikTok account: NBA 3.7M fans, MLB, Inter Milan, Red Sox
Not yet with a TikTok account: NFL, UEFA, FIFA, Olympics, Premier League, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Patriots, 49ers, Chelsea, almost everybody else
What happens when you don’t have a verified account?
You can check by yourself in the screens shots at the bottom of the article, anything goes, your brand is misrepresented.
Why should we care
Let me explain this using the famous “Simon Sinek model”.
WHY: TikTok is gaining huge popularity among teenagers and post-millennials, which is a target audience that sports always crave about
HOW: Sports can leverage their own specificity to create unique trends and challenges that resonates well with their fans and participants. Hopefully nothing dangerous.
WHAT: What could work changes depending on the sports, some ideas could be in the range of:
- Specific skills — Juggling the ball, dunking, gymnastics,
- Challenge — hitting the post, hitting the net, putting with eyes closed
- Recreating iconic actions events with original sounds
- Lip syncing famous commentators (goaaaaaaal!)
Great if you find a piece of music or sound that work well with that specific skill.
People can use the ‘duet” function to re-enact athletes or players skills or interact with them.