Here is what I have found talking to various people in the business:
- During this hiatus live rights will not be as relevant as they were before
- Having built solid fan relationships is key
- Being creative and having a good understanding of fans is key
- Having content production capabilities or partnership is useful
- VOD is good to have but alone it’s not enough
What I expect happens is that those with what is needed now or capable to quickly adapt will dominate the conversation with fans and that social platforms will have an advantage as very often O&O web, apps OTT are less flexible (or content producers are less flexible on those platforms).
Many sports OTT are making their VOD content free: NFL Gamepass, NBA League Pass, F1, Juventus TV and more.
Players are connecting with social and fans in more authentic ways with video and video chats.
Players are involved in charities and donation initiatives around the world.
Sports never stops. Fans never stop.