1) NEW Trend we spotted : Disney isn’t living a fairytale life any more. Revenue slumped 42% last quarter as the entertainment business is down on its knees. However, their bet on streaming service Disney+ is paying off big time. They gathered 100M new subscribers and revenue were up 2% to 4B (!) last quarter. And CEO Bob Chapek is doubling down by launching blockbuster Mulan straight to Disney+ for a whopping $29,99. Somehow this crisis is transforming side gigs into core businesses and core business into side gigs. Similarly, Uber’s delivery business is now larger than its ride-hauling service. Crazy times.
2) NEW Blog you should read :
Another day, another opportunity for Trump to make a fool out of himself it seems. You’ve probably already encountered the famous HBO interview.. And in case you haven’t yet, watch a small snippet here
. During this interview, Trump exemplifies people in leadership positions who are unable to respond properly to negative data. Marketing guru, Avinash Kaushik, gathered 4 different ways leadership responds to receiving negative data.
Seriously, give this blog a follow. You won’t regret it.
3) NEW Case study we wrote :
Franchisee marketing is haaaard. Franchise formulas struggle to find the right balance between local entrepreneurship and running a consistent brand. Sure, as a franchise owner you want to encourage local franchisees to take ownership and advertise on their own merits. But on the other hand, you want to send out a consistent brand & messaging. Our partner ERA Vastgoed faced a similar challenge. To counter this, we automagically created consistent Google Ads & Facebook campaigns for all 40+ brokers at once, while allowing local franchisees to personalize their marketing campaigns
. How? Download the use case and prepare to have your minds blown.
4) NEW Hobby to check out : Remember when the most annoying thing about Facebook wasn’t their blatant disrespect for user privacy, but.. Farmville requests. Turns out farming simulators are all the rage in e-sports nowadays. Competitive e-farming makes e-sports look like a gimmick but don’t be mistaken, e-sports has grown into a billion-dollar business and gaming companies within the business have reinvented the ‘sports’ sector.
Gaming companies like ‘Riot Games’ (creator of League Of Legends) for example wear multiple hats within the business. They finance tournaments themselves through brand deals & sponsorships, are exclusive rights holders, and create & stream the online broadcasts themselves. This way they own almost all revenue streams related to the experience. FIFA could learn a thing or 2 from the gaming industry. Wondering what an e-sports tournament looks like? Hint. It’s huge.
5) NEW First world problem :
Peeling pomegranates.. Someone on the internet disagreeing with you.. Accidentally opening Internet Explorer .. Too much balsamico in your salad.. A fine list of ‘first world problems’ if you ask me. But I’ve got 1 more to add to this list. Taking off your face mask in public spaces to unlock your iPhone. Well, Apple to the rescue! They launched a camera software update that unlocks your iPhone faster when you are wearing a face mask. Hurray! Don’t have an iPhone .. pre-order a face mask that looks exactly like you.
That’s it for now. If all goes well, you’ll hear from us in 2 weeks.
Enjoy the sun (and the occasional scary-ass thunderstorm)!