Hello innovation & startup folks,
Today’s main headlines:
- BitBase install 1st airport crypto ATMs in El Prat & Madrid 🏧
- Petcare startup Food for Joe get €1.5M 🦴
- Glovo hack sees private data of thousands for sale online 👩💻
What to do about that damn inflation? BCN firms can help! 💸💪
The inflation monster has been going around the globe for a while now. And while there are some signs that it’s reached its peak and recovery is on the way (see: the latest US data
or the EU’s 2023 forecast
), there’s no denying that some prices are through the roof.
In fact, data
shows that Spain’s consumer price index for July was 10.8% above last year’s rate – the country’s highest annual inflation rate since 1984. Meanwhile, salaries were upped by just 2.56%. It doesn’t take a math whiz to figure out that, economically speaking, most people are having a harder time right now.
So we thought of sharing a few local startups that can help you get by.
For saving money on your expenses:
- 🛍️ Buo: save on your grocery shopping by buying in groups to unlock discounts
- ⚡ Holaluz: find better (and cleaner) electricity deals
- 🚴♀️ Bike Ocasión: buy refurbed second-hand bikes that save you up to 60%
- 🛒 Wallapop: find great deals on second-hand products and/or sell some old stuff you don’t need (like those ice skates from when you were 8 years old)
If you need a bit extra money to get by:
- 💶 Prestalo: find a loan with the best conditions online
If you’re worried about your money losing purchasing power due to inflation:
- 📈 inbestMe: invest in indexed funds via a Roboadvisor (disclaimer: this is not investment advice!)
Have we missed anyone? Then please reply to this email ☺️
Finally, remember there is an end in sight. The recent interest rate hikes by the ECB will take some time to have an effect, but the latest forecasts do predict Spain’s inflation will revert back to “normal” levels, meaning a 3.4% inflation, next year.
Have a great week! 🌞